http://scrap-utopia.blogspot.com.auhttp://scrap-utopia.blogspot.com.au/p/scrapbooking-resume.htmlhttp://scrap-utopia.blogspot.com.au/p/gallery.htmlhttp://scrap-utopia.blogspot.com.au/p/design-teams.html

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Birthday Card Tutorial
(for Off the Rails Scrapbooking)



It's my turn once again to share some tools of the trade

The August mood palette came with this very beautiful sketch 
designed by Fiona Paltridge:


I love to use sketches as my base inspiration for any layout or card so I decided
to show you how a sketch designed for a layout can easily be used to create a card also.  

First, I started off with a 5x5 ivory colored base.
  

In order to recreate all the mixed media designs on the sketch,
I used 2 different stencil patterns with Distress Inks on my base, 
first with Rusty Hinge color...


then, with Black Soot.


I then used another stencil and added some texture with molding paste,
making sure to dry it completely with my heat gun before the next step.


Next, I sprayed some gold mist with one shot of black.


I added some 'coffee stain' style circles, using a mist bottle cap dipped in ink.

Then, it was time to add some paper elements.
I started with a long tag that would follow the same vertical pattern of the sketch.


In place of the pictures, I added little paper squares along the right edge of the tag.

The embellishments came next, starting with flowers.


I then cut out a little flag with the sentiment on it.


I love the look of sequins on my pages so I added a few around the flower clusters,
as well as some tiny black gems along the bottom and top of the tag.


Finally, I tied some black string in the tag and gave my card a light whitewash finish,
using white acrylic paint and a sponge dabber.

Here is my finished card based on the layout sketch...


and some close-ups on the details:



I hope you enjoyed my tutorial this month.
Now you will be able to profit even more from all your sketchy inspiration,
creating a layout AND a card using the same sketch!

Visit Off the Rails Scrapbooking HERE for daily inspiration!


No comments:

Post a Comment